God has given us each unique talents and personalities, as well as unique life experiences. All of these things combine together to lead us to contribute to the world through what we usually call a “career”. There are all sorts of ways to help you determine what career suits you best (e.g. Spiritual Gifts Tests, DISC Profile, etc.), but I like the Career Interests Game from the Missouri.edu website which utilizes the Holland Codes because it is very practical. Below is a brief description of the different categories:
1. Realistic (Doer) – Have athletic or mechanical ability, prefer to work with objects, tools, machines, plants, animals, or like to be outdoors.
2. Investigative (Thinker) – Like to observe, learn, investigate, analyze, evaluate or solve problems.
3. Artistic (Creator) – Have artistic, innovating or intuitional abilities and like to work in unstructured situations using their imagination and creativity.
4. Social (Helper) – Like to work with people to enlighten, inform, help, train, or cure them, or are skilled with words.
5. Enterprising (Persuaders) – Like to work with people, influencing, persuading, performing, leading or managing for organizational goals or economic gain.
6. Conventional (Task-Oriented) – Like to work with data, have clerical or numerical ability, carry out tasks in detail or follow through on others’ instructions.
As you know I like to write, but I would not classify myself as “Artistic” because my writing is more instructional rather than creative. I would definitely call myself a “Helper”, but I would not classify myself as “Social” because I don’t enjoy a lot of personal interaction. I prefer to help from a distance – with my written words. I would classify myself as “Investigative” especially in relation to the Bible, then “Conventional” and then “Realistic”.
Jesus created you, so He knows You best. If you are struggling to find the right “fit” in your life then talk to Jesus. It’s taken me more than half my life to get a good idea of what fits me best and more than likely it will be modified many more times before I die. That’s ok!
1Peter 4 – 10 God has given each of you a gift from his great variety of spiritual gifts. Use them well to serve one another. 11 Do you have the gift of speaking? Then speak as though God himself were speaking through you. Do you have the gift of helping others? Do it with all the strength and energy that God supplies. Then everything you do will bring glory to God through Jesus Christ. All glory and power to him forever and ever! Amen. (NLT)
Let’s Pray: My Creator, Thank You for giving me amazing gifts and talents. Help me use them for Your glory! In the name of Jesus Christ I pray. Amen.
QUESTION: Using the Holland Codes, does your current career “fit” you? Use the comment form below to share your thoughts.
Have a Victorious Day!