There is ONE God, but He has three “forms” known as the Godhead or Holy Trinity — Father, Son and Holy Spirit.
For there are three that bear witness in heaven:
the Father, the Word, and the Holy Spirit;
and these three are one.
The Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit are all 100% God, but they have different roles and forms. Although nothing earthly can compare to God, consider the following comparisons:
- My Dad was a father to me, a son to his parents and a husband to my Mom, but he’s only one person. Jesus was one person on earth, but He represented the Father and the Holy Spirit (John 10:30,14:7,14:16,17:21; Colossians 1:15, 2:9-10).
- Water can be a liquid, solid or gas, but all three forms are H2O. Jesus came to earth in human form, but He now has a glorified form like His Father. They sit side by side on the throne in Heaven while the invisible Spirit of God lives in believers.
|God||My Earthly Dad||H2O|
|Father||Father||Water – Liquid|
|Son||Son||Ice – Solid|
|Holy Spirit||Husband||Steam – Gas|
Titles of God
The words “God” and “Lord” are really titles rather than names. Some of the other titles for God are:
- God the Father and/or Holy Trinity – God*, El Shaddai (i.e. God Almighty), Adonai (i.e. Lord), Elohim (i.e. God(s)), Abba (i.e. Father), God of Israel, God of Abraham
- God the Son – Christ** (i.e. Messiah, Anointed One, Savior), Immanuel (i.e. God with us), Second Adam, Son, Son of God, Son of Man, Prince of Peace, Lamb of God, Shepherd, Vine
- God the Holy Spirit – Holy Ghost, Spirit, Spirit of God, Spirit of the Lord, Spirit of the Living God, Helper, Comforter
Names of God
- I AM (Exodus 3:14)–Translated as Ehyeh, YHVH, Yahweh
- Jehovah* (Exodus 6:3) – English translation of the vocalization of YHVH
- Jesus (Matthew 1:21) – English translation of the Hebrew Yeshua
*There are no vowels in the Hebrew language. Vowels were added for Latin & English pronunciation. The original Hebrew for Yahweh and Jehovah in English letters is YHVH.
Characteristics of God
Throughout the Bible, God is revealed as:
- Omnipotent which means all-powerful.
- Omniscient which means all-knowing.
- Omnipresent which means ever-present.
BUT MOST OF ALL,
GOD IS LOVE.
1 John 4:8- He who does not love does not know God, for God is love. (NKJV)
Let’s Pray: Father,my El Shaddai, Jesus, my Lord and Savior, thank You for Your unconditional love. Thank You for loving me even when I didn’t care about You. I pray that everyone will know You and Your amazing love.
QUESTION: What special names do you have for God? Use the comment form to share your thoughts.Have a Victorious Day! Marianne Clements